Presentation and Debate Skills in English
This course will focus in developing English presentation and debate skills needed in an international business or academic contexts. Students will be be required to research current topics to discuss in small groups and also give presentations in English.
Student's should be able to achieve the following goals in the course:
1. gain confidence to speak English in front of people
2. increase understanding of formal English presentation skills
3. increase understanding of formal debate skills
4. learn and use new vocabulary
5. learn to work as a team to organize and present new information to others
6. be able state opinions clearly and logically
The pace of the course will depend on student ability. Generally, students are expected to give at least 2-3 presentations and 2-3 debate discussions by the end of the semester plus one final written paper on a current event topic.
For presentations, students will be put pairs to research a topic important to society to research. This will be done both outside and in class time. Then, a 20 minute English oral presentation will be given on their topic of choice. For the debate, students will work in groups of 3-4 and be given a list of debate phrases they will be required to use to score enough points.
Students with a TOEIC score of at least 520 or above are recommended. All work will be completely done in English. Simply participating DOES NOT ensure you will pass the course.
Each presentation is worth 50 points and each oral debate is worth 35 points.
Debates will be graded on your ability to:
1) use of the Discussion Phrases in a logical and timely way
2) further develop, research, and organize your topic in your group.
3) reaching clear, logical conclusion based each person's opinion
Presentations will be graded on your ability to:
The oral presentation will be graded on your ability to:
1) Develop, do original research, and organize and present your ideas in clear manner
2) How well you achieve each of the 10 category criteria below
Presentations: (1) 35/50 + (2) 40/50 = 75%
Oral debates: (1) 22/35 + (2) 28/35 = 71%
Final grade is the average of the two: 75+71/2 = 73%
1) Presentations are worth 50 points and graded on a 10 point grading criteria: eye contact, voice, gesture, visual aids, information, posture, research, teamwork, pronunciation, Q/A follow-up
2) Group discussions will be graded using a 25 point grading scale.
*Students who fail to attend at least 2/3 of the course will receive an automatic "0"
None. Debate topics and materials shall be provided.
The content of this course corresponds approximately to a TOEIC score of 500 or above. The course is speaking oriented so you should be at this level or above.
An English dictionary is required. Laptop computers are also acceptable.
Tuesdays 2:45-4:00 or email for appointment