Home > Campus Life > Visa


Unless you are a Japanese citizen or permanent resident of Japan, you will need a college student visa to be enrolled at a university in Japan. It typically takes a local immigration office about two months to process your college student visa after you are accepted by YU and subsequently have the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) issued from the office via YU. Because the application schedule of a degree-seeking student is extremely tight, applicants from abroad need to make sure they send their necessary documents in a timely fashion.

If you are seeking work in Japan or planning to change or renew your visa status, you will need to obtain corresponding information from the web sites below.

Types of Visas

Administrative Procedures